Monday, June 18, 2007

Pavement Parrot

One early morning in Haji Ali, I saw this street dweller with her pet parrot. The lady had barely enough for herself, but the parrot seemed well fed and cared for.


I thought the lady might be a commercial sex worker. I found myself staring, almost as if I was looking for clues to her life. What was I looking for? I don't know...her possessions were pitiful. I felt guilty photographing her poverty, invading her privacy. I wonder if this is how some journalists feel, like trespassers.

5 comments:

CanisLupus said...

oooooooh, there are so many comments to make on this, but i am going restrain to one.

My 2 cents on taking pictures of "misery". I dont do it. I am surprised you put it up here. interesting....

Deepa said...

It was the parrot. The darn bird was making all sorts of noises, like a living alarm clock. I simply couldn't resist it!

CanisLupus said...

since you brought the parrot up: IMO, the one who is more miserable is the bird in the cage. take a look at my blog, i put a pic of a free bird in there :)

Anonymous said...

For a month I lived on New York's Lower East Side. Every evening I would purchase a Times, and could not fail to notice a half-dozen regular street-walking prostitutes near the news stand. They seemed reasonably attractive. But strolling the neighborhood one morning I passed an alley-way and saw them and some friends sleeping on cardboard boxes. The daylight revealed their dirt -- and suffering.

AaaDee said...

nice posting..just going thru all ur postings..

these r really worth reading !!